Monday, August 08, 2005

To cry? Or to laugh??

One of my dear pals forwarded this email to me and I nearly choked to death when I read it. You have got to be kidding me!!! What the hell is wrong with Proton? As if launching a car as ugly as the Proton Savvy isn't enough to make them the laughingstock of the entire nation?! Tiara replacement model eh? Indeed! It has replaced Tiara as Proton's most awful car yet~! *laughter* Hey hey.. I may be an amateur when it comes to cars. I admit, don't know much about them. But I am able to recognize what's 'beautifully challenged' when I see it~!

I guess some people are either oblivious to their own stupidity and absurdity or they are in denial... or better yet, they lack the intelligence and ability to comprehend the magnitude of the stupidity of their actions. Sometimes, it's articles like this that either make you cry or make you laugh to death.
Before I saw this article, I actually thought of getting a local car when I graduate... The Perodua MyVi's ok and the new Waja's not bad either~! But you know what? I'm starting to have second thoughts... Should I just save my hard earned cash for something that's better? Whaddaya think?

Proton Vendors Want Protection!
July 21, 2005 at 3:40 pm · Filed under
Cars, Local News

The Proton Vendors Association wants AP holders to be barred from importing cars that are in the segments of markets that Proton is in. Its president Dr Wan Mohamed Wan Embong outlines what they want to be implemented in the National Automotive Policy. They hope the government will consider it.
1. Vehicles with engine capacities less than 2 liters should be barred from being imported, regardless of whether it is new or used.
2. Approval letter should be seeked from Proton and Perodua before cars are allowed to be imported.
3. Cars more than 5 years old should not be allowed to be imported, regardless of engine capacity, other than those classified as vintage cars.
4. Declared price should be based on open market value decided by a council formed by the government. – Which is to include Proton and Perodua
5. Excise duty must be continued indefinitely.
6. Implement Vehicle End Of Life, where vehicles older than certain age should be declared not road-worthy, or have increased tax and other miscellaneous fees. This is to encourage new car sales.

This really sounds like a big joke doesn’t it? Ridiculous. Especially the last point. Do those rich people really think the rakyat is living a happy life rolling in cash? A lot of people have to suffer 7 to 9 year loans just to own the Proton Wira SE. You don’t have to talk about the Korean cars which is so-called cutting into your market segment. By the vehicle’s end of life, you would probably have just finished paying your loan! This will also destroy the second-hand car market.

Dr Wan Mohamed said Japan deregisters 5 million cars annually in it’s Vehicle End Of Life policy, where cars are chopped up and sold as half cuts for spare parts. These half cuts end up in Malaysia so that we can get quality Mitsubishi parts to replace the rubbish installed in our Proton cars when they fail us.

How can you compare with Japan? That place has a super efficient public transportation system. There, citizens have a choice whether to use a car or use the public transportation system. Here? Please, Dr Wan Mohamed. Go try taking the public transport system one day and you will change your mind.

The National Automotive Policy will be unveiled by the government in September. We will see whether the current government is concerned for the rakyat or is only interested in filling selected people’s coffers.

Source: StarBiz

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Savvy is ugly. Everytime I look at it, I get a shock. I don't know why, it's tiny yet it's shocking.
Have you seen the commercial on tv? I definitely think that it's a very lousy, unrealistic commercial. And have you heard the commercials over the radio? I switch channels everytime it comes on. Cannot bear the contents of it, they probably think all listeners are stupid.