Thursday, August 04, 2005

Miss Saigon

I was first introduced to Miss Saigon when I was 13 years old (wow... 10 years back!) One of my sister's friends loaned her a copy of the cassette and I was totally mesmerized by it. Yesterday, I was just sorting through my CDs and I found the Miss Saigon CDs that my sister bought for me as a birthday present when I was 17. So, I started listening to it again, in the comforts of my room and I fell in love with it all over again...

Miss Saigon is a musical by Claude-Michel Schönberg and Alain Boublil and was produced by Cameron Mackintosh. It first premiered in London (Theatre Royal, Drury Lane) on September 20, 1989 and was opened on 11 April, 1991 at the Broadway Theatre in New York. Miss Saigon, along with famous musicals like Cats, The Phantom of the Opera and Les Misérables, is considered one of the greatest musicals in history.

Set in 1975 during the final days of the American occupation of Saigon, Miss Saigon is an epic love story about the relationship between an American GI and a young Vietnamese woman. Miss Saigon is based on a real-life episode, and tells the story of Chris (the American GI) who meets Kim, a beautiful, war orphan Vietnamese sold into prostitution in a Saigon brothel. The two have a reluctant sexual encounter, but end up falling madly in love despite their initial apprehension where Chris promised to marry Kim and to save her from the filth of Saigon. However, Chris is eventually forced to return to the United States as orders from Washington are for a total and complete evacuation of the embassy. The ambassador freezes the entrance of Vietnamese to the Embassy. During the next three years the two struggle to deal with the emotional aftermath of their affair.

The show was inspired by a photograph inadvertently found by Schönberg in a magazine of a Vietnamese mother leaving her child at a departure gate at Tan Son Nhat Airport to board a plane for the USA where her father, an ex-GI, would be in a position to provide a much better life.

One of the important issues highlighted in the musical is about Bui Doi's. Bui doi, meaning “less than dust”, is a slur aimed at the offspring of American soldiers and Vietnamese women who were left behind in Vietnam. Under communist rule, they are treated miserably, held in camps, and suffer injustice and prejudice. It broke my heart when John sang about bui-doi's in the musical. How can one treat other human beings as such?

A short excerpt:
Like all survivors, I once thought
When I'm home I won't give a damn
But now I know I'm caught
I'll never leave Vietnam
War isn't over when it ends
Some pictures never leave your mind
They are the faces of the children
The ones we left behind

They're called bui-doi, The dust of life
Conceived in hell, and born in strife
They are the living reminders
Of all the good we failed to do
We can't forget, must not forget
That they are all our children too


These kids hit walls on every side
They don't belong in any place
Their secret they can't hide
It's printed on their face
I never thought one day I'd plead
For half-breeds from a land that's torn
But then I saw a camp for children
Whose crime was being born

They're called bui-doi, the dust of life
Conceived in hell, and born in strife
We owe them fathers, and a family
And loving homes they never knew
Because we know deep in our hearts
That they are all our children too
....

Anyone who has never heard of Miss Saigon before, or have never taken the time to listen to it, take time to do so. You'll never regret it =) I'm just waiting to watch the musical for real...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aaahh...Miss Saigon. Personally, I've never watched it before as I don't think that the musical ever came to Malaysia as far as I remember, I would love to watch it, and soon yee, you were the one who introduced this musical to me YEARS ago. Yes...I still remember. Recently I bought the Musicals collection album of 2 cd's and it has a song from Miss Saigon (can't recall the title) Well it is a beautiful song...
I've been to watch 2 musicals last year while I was working in Singapore. The first was Saturday Night Fever which I watched with my aunt. Exciting, interesting, colourful, and a fantastic experience. The second musical was Mamma Mia based on all ABBA's songs, that I watched with my colleagues. It was a real party time (*Dancing queen, young and sweet, only seventeen, oh yeaaa*)