Saturday, September 10, 2005

Bananas & all...

My OOPT paper's finally over!! I don't know how I did... I don't really care cos.. IT'S OVER!! *grin* I'm practically brimming over the top with sheer bliss...

While I was studying (last minute!) this morning, Chin Aun was reading the papers and he pointed out to me an ad that showed a banana with the caption "We're looking for a few good pisang..." (It's supposed to be some marketing/branding recruiment ad). Then he said this to me, "They're looking to hire you..."

Me?!? A Banana?! *grin* For those who do not know what banana means; here goes:
According to most dictionaries, a banana is a fruit - An elongated, edible fruit having a thick yellowish skin and white, aromatic, seedless pulp.
BUT, here in Malaysia, the word "banana" is a colloquial term often used in a derogatory manner to belittle those of Chinese descent whom, are unable to understand the Chinese language. The Chinese language in question here would be Mandarin whereas dialects like Hokkien and Cantonese are not taken into consideration.

The reason why a banana is used to represent those who can't understand Mandarin is because of the fruit's color. It's yellow on the outside and white on the inside; supposed to illutrate those who are "yellow" on the outside (the chinese) but "white" on the inside (westernized - english speaking folks). I've been called a banana so many times that I have already lost count. If I had a dollar for everytime a person says "How come you are Chinese but don't understand the Chinese language?", I'd be counting my first million by now.

Saying that I do not understand the Chinese language is a generalization. I can speak Cantonese and Hokkien (please note that I did not say that I do so "fluently" here) and I can also understand them relatively well when I am at the receiving end. It's Mandarin that I have trouble with... I can only understand to a certain degree and speak with many limitations and a funny accent (a vast improvement from a few years back though!!). But I am still considered a banana because I cannot read and write in Chinese O_o *hmmm*

Being a banana doesn't mean that I only watch shows and listen to songs in English. That would be a demeaning generalization *wag finger* I watch anything that's worth watching and it can jolly well be in Italian! And I listen to any music that I want to, regardless of the language. I love Jay and he only sings in Mandarin *starry eyed* so here comes Jiun and Boey into the picture. They write out the lyrics in Chinese, write the "pin yin" for me so that I am able to sing along as well as to translate what each sentence means (so that I know what I am singing!! hehe..)... Ain't that the sweetest? Awww... *muuaaks* to you both...

Anways, Sue and I spoke about this topic once and we came to this conclusion: "What's so bad about being a banana?!" Bananas are cool =) and they are good for you~! Hehe... And so hereafter, I loudly declare that I am now and always will be a "banana"~! And PROUD to be one too, no less... So there!! *grin*

Here's to a few of my buddy-bananas: Sue, Melissa, Hannah, Cindy, Cynthia, MayChwyn, Zeek, Jack-Ming, Chin Hau, K.Feong and JinChun!~ here's *cheers* to us! *wink*

Anymore out there? Feel free to reveal yourselves... *grin*

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there!
Would always proud to be one! *LOL*
\(^_^)/

~~MayChwyn

Anonymous said...

Hi soon,

I'm a banana too.
Well i'm a banana in 2 ways.
1)Yea you said it. I am a chinese but only knows Hokkien and English
erm not to mention Malay and erm C++, VB, bla bla bla

2)Another being the "yak chiu" or "eat banana". Me and my pals use tis term to
signify a failure in courting gals.

So there i am a hybrid proud banana.

Anonymous said...

GO BANANA! Was a banana, is a banana.

Brutallica said...

Heya,

I happened to stop by here again and man do I like this post. I've always been proud being a banana too...and it's really nice to see that I'm not alone :p

Anonymous said...

yay!! bananas are cool!! just like how gwen put it..B-A-N-A-N-A-S!! :)

-scwar-