Friday, November 02, 2007

Music List :)

In conjunction with my previous post, I wanted to update more on music.
Lately, I've been hooked on several songs and I just can't seem to get enough of them! I was just contemplating which songs to put under the section of "music & me" and I just couldn't make up my mind... Then I thought, what the heck, might as well just list them all out in a post! And here I am !~ Hee hee...

First, there's this catchy girl-power song always playing on MTV's pop20 - "Potential Breakup Song" by girls duo known as Aly & AJ. Catchy as it may be, I was watching that at 12am and I was fighting to keep my eyes open... But I have to be honest... what actually caught my eye about this song and the video was that I was actually transfixed by the black and white splashes of color that seem to swirl and burst everywhere making my head spin! Hahaha... If you haven't seen the video then you probably wouldn't know what I'm talking about... Anyways...

Back to the topic at hand... then I've been digging through some old mp3 files and CD and I fell in love with The Calling once again! Or shall I say Alex Band of The Calling *mysterious smile* I have been listening to The Calling's Camino Palmero album and I'm liking it more than before :)


I've been nodding and tapping to the sounds of Alex Band crooning "So we laugh, and we smile and we play our games of sweet denial... Don't tell me we're forgiven..." from their not-quite-so-popular single simply known as "We're Forgiven". And then there's also another one that keeps playing in my mind called "Things Don't Always Turn Out That Way" which goes something like this "She's all that he wants, she's all that he needs, she's everything he just won't believe... Take away his doubt, turn him inside out, then she can see what he's been dying to say.. But things don't always turn out that way...". And of course, if you're a fan of The Calling, you would inevitably love this one:

If I could
Then I would
I'll go wherever you will go
Way up high
Or down low
I'll go wherever you will go...

If I could turn back time
I'll go wherever you will go...
If I could make you mine
I'll go wherever you will go...

(*if you have never heard this song before then I think you should crawl back under the rock you were hiding under all these years)

I would embed the video here but for some reason, the music video for this song on YouTube has been barred from being embedded anywhere else. FYI, I LOVE this video :) The girl getting the tattoo of her beau's name *ouch*... going home to find him in bed with someone else *double ouch* and finally her in a fit of anger thrashing his place and smashing his guitar *triple ouchie*! And a happy ending where she hooks up with a babe of a guy she met at the tattoo shop *dreamy* (unlike her slimeball of a bf!)

I know what you guys are thinking *point accusingly* Gimme some credit ok.. I've loved that song since eons ago before I even saw how Alex Band looked like :p But I really really love his deep husky voice. But, Chin Aun says he looks gay and when you hear that deep voice that is him, you just can't associate the voice to him.. Cis!! He doesn't look gay ok!! Not even remotely!!


I have a few other songs of theirs that I love but I'm just gonna cut this one short because it's gonna end up more like a tribute to The Calling. I've got to be fair to other music makers out there :)

Remember this song from a few months back... "Lips of an Angel" by this hard-rock band called Hinder? Anyway, that song was a huge one-time hit and a lot of people would most likely remember for quite a while. But, there is this other single by Hinder that I really like called "Homecoming Queen" which is rather meaningful... It's been on my playlist for the past 2 weeks already and so I'm sharing it with you :)

It's a shame shame shame
That our homecoming queen
Was a lot like you and a lot like me
And she never really walked on water
Guess no one really saw her

A shame shame shame
That our homecoming queen
Had a lot to prove and so many to please
She's just somebody's daughter
Looking for somebody to love her...

Before you have any hopes that I am actually gonna post any pictures of Hinder here, you can wipe that thought clear from your mind. It's not gonna happen. Unless of course, they look like Alex Band or Johnny Depp *grin* but they don't... not even remotely so. So let's not ask any more questions and just move on...

And when talking about rock music... who can forget Fall Out Boy famous for songs with the weirdest titles like "Sugar, We're Going Down", "This Ain't A Scene, It's an Arm's Race", "Our Lawyer Made Us Change The Name of This Song So We Won't Get Sued" and many more. Weird titles or not, I really like this new single by them called (brace yourself for another mind-blowing title) "I'm Like A Lawyer Always Trying To Get Off You (Me and You)". The tune is really catchy and it truly lives up to the standards of Fall Out Boy's first ever single "Sugar, We're Going Down". Like the titles, Fall Out Boy's songs are of interesting content as well...

We're the new face of failure
Prettier and younger but not any better off
Bulletproof loneliness
At best
At best

Don't ask me what they are trying to say because I truly have no idea. And since Fall Out Boy isn't exactly cover-girl material, I'm not posting any pictures either :p It's all about aesthetics baby!

And last but not least, one final band and their installment of good music...

(just so you know, I'm sleepy and tired. That's why I'm putting an end to this post. If not, I could go on till Sunday morning! hahaha)...

Ironically.... Sunday Morning is one of their hits :) Maroon 5!~

Oh darn, I'm an infantile rockhead. I've been extremely hooked on this song of theirs called "Simple Kind of Lovely". It's so groovy... heheheh... I've edited it and made it my ringtone! And then of course other than that, there's the overplayed "Wake Up Call" and "Makes Me Wonder". Also, I'm hooked on another single from their new album "It Won't Be Soon Before Long" entitled "I Won't Go Home Without You". It's more mellow and subdued then their new album's first 2 singles. But then of course, Maroon 5 actually made it big riding on the waves churned by their first single a few years back called "Harder To Breathe"and "This Love". I personally prefer slower tunes by them and a personal favourite is "She Will Be Loved" :) Before I sign off and go to bed... Let me leave you with an excerpt from "Simple Kind of Lovely".
Leaning on a tree trunk
Thinking of the same junk
Falling in and out of a dream
Back and forth I'm swaying
I'm contemplating staying
Laying and decaying when I know I must leave
Where do I aim when I shoot the breeze?
What do I calm myself at times like this?

I need a simple kind of lovely
And the thought is just a novelty

And of course a picture of them because everyone likes well-dressed gentlemen *wink*
PS: for clarification's sake, it's is soooooooooo obvious that I do not only listen to bands that look good :) See?? I am not THAT shallow... Music is, by and in itself, sublimely beautiful... irregardless of the physical attributes of ther person conveying it..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must say, the lead singer of Maroon 5 looked absolutely slick and stylish in the Makes Me Wonder...though a little girly at times..don't u think?

Zeekco said...

Cool post! but soon, how could you forget the ever funky and sexy-ill-looking "Bret Anderson" of SUEDE. I think they deserve to be in the list too. Bring on the Brits!

p/s. Im not a fan of them. The only track i know from them is TRASH... or was it me they're talking bout?! muahaha....