Sunday, January 22, 2006

A Gift to Give...

I visited Melissa’s blog this morning and I read her post on contributing to the less fortunate during the festive season. And somehow it touched me…

Ever since my sister and I were young, my parents have taught us that it is important to give a little of what we have to those who are less fortunate. And since I was a kid, I’ve followed my mom on numerous trips to buy ‘supplies’ (y’know… milk powder, rice, milo, biscuits, the likes) that were needed by these orphanages and old folks’ homes followed by a visit to the orphanage/old folk’s home to deliver the ‘supplies’. We’ve been doing that for so long that it seemed like a ritual that we go through a few times every year.

However, ever since I came to KL, I am sad to say that I did nothing of this sort. Nothing at all. The closest thing I ever did for charity was probably donating to some organization or another when they came table-to-table asking for money. So when I read Melissa’s post on this issue, I felt a little something deep inside. Has coming to KL made me so materialistic that I had no time to give to others?

Many a time, we complain that we have no money or that we are broke. In this context, the definition of broke would be that we aren’t able to eat at some fancy restaurant or pay or some designer jeans. What about the times when we complain that there’s nothing to eat at home? When what we really mean is that there are no junk food/chocolates/juices and what-nots available for us to snack on. How about the times that we complain that we need a bigger house or a more luxurious car? Or that we absolutely “need” this new techie-gadget that has just been launched?

Have we ever thought about those people who are REALLY broke? Those who do not even have enough money to buy their current meal, much less think about the next meal. Have we given a thought to those literally have an empty refrigerator or an empty pantry? Those that really have nothing to eat at all? How about those who cannot even afford a bicycle, much less a car? Have we ever thought about the children who don’t even have books to read, much less own a computer??

Note to self/those reading this #1: It’s a Gift to Give
Learn to give a little. We have been blessed in more ways that we can ever imagine. It’s time to bless the others the same way that we have been blessed. Take some time out, save a little money and donate both to charity. Don’t go to a fancy restaurant this month; instead, take some kids from the orphanage out to a decent meal. We don’t need that new 3G phone, how about saving up that money to buy some necessities for an old folks’ home? Because we know that they certainly need it.

Note to self/those reading this #2: Always be thankful for what you have
Learn to love ourselves! Shouldn’t we be thankful for limbs that are still attached to our bodies (OMG… this is such a crude way of saying it!)? Shouldn’t we be thankful that we can see with the eyes and smell with the nose that we were blessed with? Think about those who lost their limbs or who were born impaired. Love our parents and love our families, think about those who don’t even have a family.

All in all, I think it’s high time we start giving a little to the society. Maybe start with a small orphanage or something. I know I’m gonna start doing something. I shouldn’t be only doing it when I am in Penang when I’m with my parents. I can do the same here in KL with whoever’s interested to do the same. Anyone interested to join me? =) Gimme a buzz (if you’re reading this you probably know either my email add or my phone number) and we can hook up because I promise you that doing this will give you the gratification that you cannot find elsewhere.

Just remember this: We’ve been thoroughly blessed and it’s about time that we pass on some of those blessings to those who need it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup! You are right...sometimes we do complain too much and get too caught up with objects and objects and whine about what a horrible time we are having..I know I'm guilty of it myself. :) Doing something within our means is better than nothing. Btw, whoever's reading this reply drop right down to Silver Jubilee (in Penang btw and get from them a list of things they need)..They have a list which includes stuff like foodstuff.. milo, sardines, nestum, toiletries, and even medicine (panadol, bandages and other medicine which I simply can't remember the names)
Oh Soon Yee...here's a hug to you for being such a great person! I admire that!

Anonymous said...

nicely said....humans are getting uglier these days....all they want is to receive and not willing to give. Ppl are selfish and self-centred nowadays. To give is to receive. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Good effort!

Jack