Sunday, February 05, 2006

Chinese New Year 2006

Words to describe my CNY:
HOT-HOT-HOT!!! (that would be the weather... love the season, hate the weather *ugh*)
RED (everything's either in red or adorned with red stuff... and I had to wear a red shirt on the first day of CNY when I went to Chin Aun's house :p)
LOVE (love is all around when you're at home!!)
FOOD (hohoho... this is an understatement... if only there was a word that could be used to describe the magnitude of it *grins*)
NEW CLOTHES & SHOES (yeah!!! the only time of the year when I can shop without feeling guilty!! I'm endorsed~!!)
MONEY (in little red packets.. one of the MAJOR reasons why CNY is so fabulous! Trying to collect as much as possible *winks*)
FUN (hehee... going back home is always fun, no matter when! I miss the good times already *sobs*)

I'm obviously too lazy and too tired to write much so I'll let the photos tell the story of my 2006 CNY:

*************************************************

REUNION DINNER =)

Photo 1: Reunion dinner at my house, my mom cooked EVERYTHING!!!

Photo 2: Reunion dinner at Chin Aun's house. Annual CNY steamboat *yeah!!*

*************************************************

CNY - DAY 1

Taking a photo after pai nian" with his parents. I'm wearing a RED top, can you see it?? *horror of horrors* hehe...

Our annual "mamak" dinner! Hehe... On the first day of CNY (every year w/o fail!) we would make sure that we eat at a mamak stall (just to make my mom uncomfortable *grins* cos she doesn't really know how to enjoy mamak food, so my dad makes it an annual thing!) Personally, I think my mom is getting the hang of it already!

*************************************************

Annual CNY Dinner at the Restaurant

Photo 1: Yee Sang! hehe

Photo 2: Dinner isn't complete without drinks and toasts!

Photo 3: Roasted Suckling Pig (I had to stop my dad from taking a piece cos I wanted the photo to look nice...) the reason why I don't have photos of the other dishes is because my dad dug right into it and I figured it wouldn't look nice to post the photos here :p

Photo 1: Me, Chin Aun and a really dear aunt :) (hmm? I'm weaing PINK!?)

Photo 2: Mom & Dad & Me!!!

*************************************************

CNY - 7th Day

Mom always says that the 7th day of CNY is everybody's birthday! *huh?* don't understand but if it's my birthday and I get to be treated like a queen, then why not?! *grins*

Photo 1: Mom says have to eat seafood and chicken porridge on "everybody's birthday". Why?! I don't know... as long as it tastes good :p

Photo 2: "Yee Sang" from Sushi King at Chin Aun's house... It's an annual thingie.. But this year, there was Red Wine!!

*************************************************

CNY - "Pai Tee Kong"

I don't "pai tee kong" but I do like the white sticky rice that Sally makes. I think it's called "biko".. But since I don't get to eat the one that she makes this year, my mom went to buy one for me! haha... Lookie!!

My dad showed no mercy... he just packed it all in! :p haha... (hhmmm?? what's Chin Aun doing behind him?? hehe)

*************************************************

Periodic Meeting with BeeSung

We generally don't do much when we meet except eat, take photos, talk, take photos, talk, take photos, talk (you get the idea...)

This time, Bee Sung actually took leave from work!! Woo-hoo!! and we went back to her office after work hours to pick Ah Lee up :p Sally refused to go on the rendezvous with us cos I think she thinks we are insane..

Ah Lee refuses to participate in the photo-taking.. phwek!

These are the typical (but decent!) photos that we often take...

Photo 1: oh kissy kissy *winks* That light behind us?? Someone's coming to arrest us, no doubt..

Photo 2: A warm loving embrace? Or a cover up for a squashy strangulation???

Hehe.. I'm glad I managed to at least meet up with her. Mel totally forgot about me cos she had to work, work & work :p so, that means I didn't get to meet Yee Leng too! :( hmmph...

*************************************************

CNY Festival In Georgetown

These are the photographs taken of the place. A couple of adjoining streets were closed up and the entire place was decked in CNY deco! The whole place was separated into "villages" (e.g. Canton Village, etc). There were foodstalls and stalls selling miscelleanous stuff and there were performances at every village. There was lion dance, chinese orchestra, singing, and I don't know what you call it but the people who would walk on stilts and balance a huge flag on their foreheads? It was so packed with people that I didn't manage to take much photos.

Some crazy photos that we took there while watching some guy singing on stage..

Photo 1: "and then there was light!!!" In this case, it's the lights from the performance :p

Photo 2: Chin Aun slurping up the rest of my Bubble Milk Tea when he thought I was too busy taking photos! Hmmph!! The little brown thing on the top right corner is a virtual hammer that I added. It's function is to knock his head.. :p

Photo 3: I'm TALLER than him!!! hahaha... with the help of a road divider of course!

Some photos taken at a coffee shop near the celebration:

BEEF SOUP MEE!! *drools* Won't be able to find food like this in lousy KL. I've been eating at this place ever since I was a kid and it's really good! It's located along Chulia Street, inside a coffeeshop =) I know it's not particularly descriptive but at least I tried, right?? Don't know road names very well :p

*************************************************

The Day I Came Back Here

*bleargh* But at least it started well... No, actually it started with me waking up at the unearthly hour of 7am. Then I walked around the house in my jammies, (bugging mom and dad of course!), before hogging the washroom for 20 mins :p

DIM SUM! DIM SUM!! At some coffee shop in Air Itam near the roundabout before the entrance to the tram-ride to Bukit Bendera. I like the elongated fish-ball wrapped in pandan leaves! And this is only the first serving :p

Photo 1: Dad packing it all in once again! I seem to have many photos of him eating :p

Photo 2: Mom with her reading glasses ready to "inspect" the dim sum :D

Photo 1: Aunt Carol taking her first spoonful of the century egg porridge

Photo 2: Chin Aun making tea!! "I know you're taking my photo though everyone else isn't aware but I'm going to ignore you!!"

Everyone's stuffed from breakfast...
Me: with a stupid contented smile :D
Mom - "I'm going to pretend that I don't see Chin Aun outside the car taking photos"
Dad - "Hey hey!! Can you see my face??"
Gee.. that's Chin Aun's reflection on the car window.. :p
*************************************************
The DOWN side of CNY
Aside from the fact that I had to go back to KL after spending a week back home, there's another issue that made CNY particularly painful (literally!) for me...
Ta-dah!!!

See the awful sunburn-rash that I had to live with for the entire 1 week that I was in Penang!? *gasp* It was so painful and irritating and it was peeling!!!! My mom was like "What happened to you!??!" (more work for her since she gotta apply medication on it everyday :p) I cried when my aunt sprayed some stuff on it! *malu-nya*
So what happened to me? *grins* I went to "Little India" (this little part of town that sells Indian stuff) one hot afternoon with Chin Aun and forgot both to put on sunblock and to bring my umbrealla. Phew.. But I did manage to buy 2 nice kurthies!! Yeah!!
Generally, the outcome of the trip to "Little India" = 2 kurthies, rash & sunburn and a week of pain and peeling... great huh? :D
Some ppl may be wondering what possessed me to post these two disgusting photos but I figured since I have to live with the pain, the rest of you can just be grossed out with it :p muahaha...
So that's MY 2006 CNY ;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yo...it's gross!!!!

Soon Yee said...

SEAH CHIN AUN!!!!!!

Nurul Izzati Izzie said...

hAha. so positive ah ur blog.. welll...

i wished someone serve me sushi SUSHI during CNY XD

hahahahaha

but i got a lot of ang paus. chinese always give 10$+ angpaus even to frens hah.. hmm nice nice


=)

Brutallica said...

Hey, you happened to cross my mind and so I visited your blog :) Looks like you had a really great CNY. Take care!!