Sunday, February 19, 2006

And then there are sad songs...


I was doing some last minute cramming in the library for an upcoming test last week while being plugged into my iPod (don't ask me how I can study with music, because I can't without it!). And out of 1000 songs, my iPod chose to play this one song that I haven't heard in eons...

I heard he sang a lullaby
I heard he sang it from his heart
When I found out thought I would die
Because that lullaby was mine.
I heard he sealed it with a kiss
He gently kissed her cherry lips
I found that so hard to believe
Because his kiss belonged to me...
How could an angel break my heart
Why didn't he catch my falling star
I wish I didn't wish so hard
Maybe I wished our love apart
How could an angel break my heart..

nice song... but it's so sad! And because I haven't heard it in such a long time, I continued listening to the lyrics and ignoring my notes on the table...

I heard her face was white as rain
Soft as a rose that blooms in May
He keeps her picture in a frame
And when he sleeps he calls her name...
I wonder if she makes him smile
The way he used to smile at me
I hope she doesn't make him laugh
Because his laugh belongs to me

Toni Braxton's "How Could An Angel Break My Heart". Damn sad right?! *sniff sniff* I guess I paid more attention the lyrics because the previous songs that my iPod rocked were Rage Against Machine's "Wake Up" and Green Day's "Hitchin' A Ride". Gawd... Sad songs are so distressing! But yet sad songs sometimes make the best songs! That's irony for you! haha...
That's not the end... THEN my iPod decided to play another sad song - which by the way, totally made me forget about the notes that were still on the table.

You can hardly wait to tell all your friends how his kisses taste sweet like wine
And how he always makes your heart skip a beat everytime he walks by
And if you're feeling down, he'll pick you up
He'll hold you close when you're making love
He's everything you've been dreaming of
Oh baby...
I wish you'd look at me that way
Your beautiul eyes looking deep into mine
Telling me more than any words could say
But you don't even know I'm alive
Cos baby to you, all I am,
Is the invisible man...

98 Degrees' "Invisible Man"! Wahlau... At this point, I start to wonder where people get the ideas for their songs... Past experiences?!
Wanting to get on with my reading, I skipped to the next song and by-golly, it's ANOTHER 98 Degree's song! And it's "The Hardest Thing" (please note that my iPod is on shuffle mode!)

It's the hardest thing I'll ever have to do
To look you in the eye and tell you I don't love you
It's the hardest thing I'll ever have to lie
To show no emotion when you start to cry
I can't let you see what you mean to me
When my hands are tied and my heart's not free
(We're not meant to be)
It's the hardest thing I'll ever have to do
To turn around and walk away
Pretending I don't love you...

At this point, I was almost certain that my iPod's out to get me. I want to turn it off and continue studying but the songs are sooooooo SAD! *damn* The next song my iPod chose to play MADE me certain that I wasn't meant to be studying last minute for test because of all the other 997 songs, it chose Toni Braxton's "Un-break My Heart".

Un-break my heart
Say you love me again
Un-do this hurt that you caused
When you walked out the door
And walked out of my life
Un-cry these tears
I cried so many nights...
Un-break my heart

Freaky coincidence ain't it!? Of all songs to choose, two are by Toni Braxton's and the other two are by 98 Degrees! and THEY ARE ALL SAD!!! and not just "awww... so sad one ar" but "oh gawd.. hand-me-a-tissue-cos-my-heart-is-breaking-into-a-trillion-pieces sad".

Sad songs almost always make the best songs... I wonder why... Could it be because they are so heart-wrenching? Or because there's a sad song for almost everyone out there? One could be singing about how some fella's heart got broken by an unfeeling girl while another song could be about a love that wasn't meant to be. I don't even want to mention Jay Chou's songs! I may not understand mandarin but ANYONE can hear from the tear-jerking tunes that his songs are mostly about heartbreaks. Some popular ones:
(Tornado) dunno chinese title = Love being like a tornado-hitting you and leaving you when you are most unprepared for it
(An Jing) = Something about him being able to let the girl he loves to go with some other guy only because he loves her too much
(Kai Bu Liao Kou) = This is the one about him being unable to express his love to some girl he fancies and how tormented he is when she is not around
(Jie Kou) = Him beseeching the love of his life not to leave him on the pretext that he has hurt her too badly
and my CURRENT FAV...
(Feng) = Something about a lapsed loving tenderness that has been locked by time and all that is left are just the pain and the sorrow <-- I like this one cos it sounds so "deep"! hahahaa... Maybe all these propelled Ne-Yo's new single "So Sick of Love Songs". But do you categorize these as "Love Songs" or "Gut-Wreching-Heart-Breaking Songs"?? *ponder ponder*

And that was the story of how I stopped cramming for my test an hour before I was supposed to take it. I figured the results will be out next week and if I get a bad grade, I'm biting my iPod and never bringing it to the library when I need to study again.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

FOCUS, soon yee..focus. Control urself. *GRIN* but what the heck if your test is over.
Here's another sad song that will totally..totally tear your heart to pieces: I Can't Make You Love Me by someone whose name I can't remember.
Lyrics goes something like this:
"I can't make you love me, if you don't. You can't make your heart feel, something it won't, here in the dark, in these final hours, I will lay down my heart, and I'll feel the power, but you won't"