Thursday, July 28, 2005

*The Importance of SLEEP*

Chin Aun loves to nag me because I love to sleep... in my ideal world, everyone is allowed to sleep as much as they want before proceeding to every day tasks and chores.. Imagine... cuddling up to a mound of soft pillows and just drifting off into dreamland where everything is beautiful and you're the boss!~ (okok.. i'll admit occassionally, there are cockroaches instead of butterflies, and you fall off cliffs, or get chased by some weird creature or another in dreamland, but still...)
He insists that one does not need to sleep for more than 5-6 hours and it's really amazing because he really CAN do that! From my days in high school, through the course of my industrial training and now, the final year of my degree, my sleeping pattern is still the same even though everyday demands may vary. But for him, he can make do with only 5-6 hours of sleep a day and I am SO amazed at how he can do it, because I certainly can't! If I sleep at 12am and wake up at 7am for only a day or two... it's still isn't so bad. But if it continues for a week, I think I can spend my entire Saturday sleeping just to catch up on the sleep that I lost for the previous days.

A few days ago was Boey's birthday and we really fooled around a lot that night. We ALL expected to sleep late since it's someone's birthday... that's tradition. But what makes it worse it that we have a project due the very next day. So my group members; none other than Jiun, KF and Victor stayed up almost all night working on our respective parts. Vic was the first to go at around 4:30am and Jiun went next at around 4:55am... Then KF couldn't take it anymore and went to bed at 5:15am. That leaves me... I worked on the project until 6:45am and only managed to crawl into bed at 7am. Then Jiun woke me up at 9am because we have class.

At that moment when I opened my eyes, I felt absolutely AWFUL! For someone who places sleep as one of the "Top 5 Most Important Things In Life", getting a mere 2 hours of sleep was like walking barefoot on a stretch of hot coals. I felt that:
1. The world around me seems to be moving at an incredible rate.
2.
I left my brain somewhere in the house and I am unable to find it
3.
I was unable to make out a proper sentence
4.
Every word the lecturer said didn't even reach the vicinity of my ears before they disintegrated
5. My hands were shaking and I couldn't write

6. My knees were weak
7. My eyesight was long gone... I wouldn't have seen a truck even if it hit me right between the eyes


You see... the weird thing was that Jiun got perhaps only 2 hours more of sleep than I did and she too exhibited some of the symptoms that I was having. However, when we met KF and Victor on campus and they looked fine! In fact, they were practically oozing with sunshine! How could that be!? They were spirited, annoying, chirpy, annoying, talkative, annoying, happy, annoying, vivacious, annoying, HYPERactive, annoying... well... annoying!I just HAD to write "annoying". Jiun and I couldn't believe it! What is it that is found in the Y chromosome that is able to cope with less sleep!? It's perplexing... AND ANNOYING~!

I guess one won't be able to comprehend the enormity of the impact that lack of sleep has on others... especially males because they seem to cope so well with it. So, if Chin Aun pokes fun at me for sleeping more than 6 hours again; I'll just tell him that it's God promise that we should ALL have sweet sleep *wink* I love him a great deal, but a girl's gotta do what's she gotta do to get her sleep!~

.... Now ain't that a sweeeeeeet one~....

No comments: