Saturday, September 29, 2007

A Growing Addiction

As most of you already know... I'm an addict. I'm addicted to the Internet. I'm addicted to iPods. I'm addicted to coffee, books and Winnie the Pooh! And worst of all, I'm addicted to shopping for all the above! Maybe it's my lack of will power, my inertness or maybe it's just plain effeminacy. I just don't know how to describe it. I mean, it's been so many years of trying to curb this darned addiction but it's still here, burning away inside me as strong as ever.

Today as I sit here tapping away on my PC, I ponder and ponder and I think my biggest addiction is to SHOES.

Yup! Wanna know how I came to that conclusion?? Just take a good look at the "shoe section" in my apartment.

For clarification purposes, they are NOT ALL MINE! If any of you even dared to let that thought flit by your mind... YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF!!!
I mean, COME ON! Gimme a break! Cut me some slack! I live with 3 other people here. There would bound to be some shoes that belong to them :p
Now, let's take a closer look at the next photo:

Yellow Dots --> My shoes
Turquoise Dots --> Chin Aun's shoes
Pink Dots --> Mom & Dad's shoes (to facilitate their visits! *grin*)
Green Dots --> other housemates' shoes

Like I said!~ They are not ALL mine :p But the unspoken tension in the air tells me that I have a problem. A Big Shoe Problem (hencewith referred to as BSP).
You know, never in my whole life would I ever associate the word "problem" with the word "shoe" *chuckles* until now, that is... *sigh* (Now I know why my mom shakes her head every time she looks at the pile of shoes by the door *bigger sigh*)

I think I got myself into this BSP because I am always reluctant to throw out or give away my old shoes. But then of course, there is the tiny factor of my addiction to shopping for shoes which just adds to my BSP.

Therefore, I grit my teeth, clench my fists and harden my resolve.

I AM THROWING OUT/GIVING AWAY MY OLD SHOES THIS WEEKEND!!!

besides... I'm running out of space for new shoes...
Just so you know, my definition of "old shoe" would have to conform to the following:
(1) Older then 2 years
(2) Haven't been worn in more than 1 year
(3) Have a defect

Since I'm going to be giving away some shoes, I thought I'd blog about the IMPORTANCE OF SHOES in my life as well as the IMPORTANT SHOES of my life. There's a big difference in the two :)


Part I -- The Importance of SHOES in my life

Shoes are important to everyone. NOT JUST ME! *doh* Like you don't wear shoes?!?!?! *scowl* Without shoes, you'd be walking around in your bare feet, stepping into shards of glass or whatever that would cut you and make you bleed. Or, you could be stepping bare-footed into the regurgitated-and-stomach-digested lunch of the neighbourhood cow. How's THAT for waking you up on the importance of shoes???

Shoes are really great (for lack of a better word). I mean, they REALLY make me happy. I could just sit here and look at my shoes and feel a sense of satisfaction that is beyond describing! And then of course, there is the process of purchasing shoes. That makes me happy too *grin*

Oh heck, SHOES are important to me and if it's not to you, then it's your problem!

Now let's get to the other reason of my post...

Part II -- The IMPORTANT SHOES in my life

(I know you guys are probably gonna think that this is insipid of me, but do I look or sound like I care? *grin* Sit back and enjoy the shallowness of this vapid post!~)
Just so you know, my ultimate favourite brand for shoes is Hush Puppies *grin* Just the name itself puts a silly smile on my face. I used to think that all shoes are the same. How deluded could I be right??! *smack forehead* Conquering a hill in Korea and massive outlet shopping in US with my HP sandals converted me into HP believer.
I hereby declare myself a Hush Puppies Neophyte!



My Trusty Old HP Slingbacks

This is the pair of magnificent shoes that was capable of doing the unimaginable. I have had this pair of shoes for over 2 years :) 2 very WONDERFUL years :D It's been with me thru thick and thin (I know that they looks really awful but the physical state is fully justifiable!). It's been halfway around the world with me. I wear it when I travel because I know it'll never fail me. I wear it work everyday (almost)! It's RM169.90 well spent

I actually have another pair of old trusty that I left in the car. My back-up trusty's! It's also HP but it's just a pair of slip-in's that's really really comfortable too. It resides in the car in case any other pair of shoes that I am wearing at the moment gives way. I got it for RM70 at a sale! :D It has also been with me for 2 long years.


My other HP's :)

Chin Aun got me this pair for Chinese New Year this year cos he said that I have enough black shoes to drown in. But to give him credit, this pair is really really soft and cushy :) I hate to think what would happen to it if I waded thru a puddle in it.


I have always been oogling after this pair of T-Bar heels since I first laid eyes on it but after strongly repressing the shopaholic in me, I rationalized that paying RM179.90 for a pair of heels is just so NOT WORTH IT *blueek* even though it's a pair of HPs. But as fate would have it, it apparently fell out of season and got marked down to RM100 *GRIN* Do I look like I need further persuasion!?!? Hello!?!? I bought it in Penang and lugged it all the way back here~



This pair is so new, it is almost purely uncontaminated (hey, I had to try them on before buying right?!) I saw this under the section "New Arrivals" and I told myself that I do not need a new pair of shoes, and black shoes at that! Besides, it's not like I have excess $$$ to spare and this one costs RM169.90. But then I also told myself that I would buy this to reward myself if I ever get employed by a certain company that I have been wanting to get into. Considering my track record of employment and my mounting disillusionment of them, it's so rare that I never actually harboured any hope of owning this at all. That didn't stop me from lusting after it and oogling at it whenever I visit HP outlets.

And whaddaya know, I saw this brand new pair of shoes on Thursday, got hired by a company of my choice on Friday and bought this pair shoes on Saturday! Whoopdeedoo!!! THE STARS SHINE DOWN! :D
After lusting after it for more than 60 hours, Chin Aun bought them for me!!! Hahahaha *gone mad laughing*... I didn't buy it myself *grin*

We went to HP just now and I showed the shoes to him and he went "Wow, very rare for HP to have such fashionable shoes! They are normally very conventional and 'auntie'-looking. Come, I buy for you to congratulate you" (He was in a very good mood today after watching 'Hairspray') So syiok!!

Just so you guys know, even though HP shoes can be really pricey, they are worth it! They last through any kinds of weather and their comfort level is way above average. Imagine paying RM150 for a pair that lasts a few years and RM60 for a pair that lasts a few months. I am no accountant but even I know the ROI on that!


Just so you know, Chin Aun came out and saw me blogging just now


CA : You are awake at 2am to blog about shoes?!
SY : And then how?
CA : *mumbles something intelligible*... sampat!
*look at him with a feigned dumb expression*
*CA peers into my screen*
CA : Good to know you like your shoes
SY : *smile*
CA : Money well spent
SY : *big smile* Can buy mor...
CA : GOOD NITE
*CA walks off*


Ceh! He says "good night" but I can hear him playing some game on the PC in his room :p
Back to my post...

Market Slippers


I bought this pair of slippers for RM10 in a market in Penang *grin* Great bargain hor??? See how worn out they are... I've had them for almost a year already. Great ROI!~




Mary Jane's


My dependable Mary Jane's for all formal occasions! :) I got it for 40% off at around RM180. Considering it has pig skin lining, I'd say it was worth every penny. I wear this to all 'formal' functions that I have to attend -- like my convo, interviews, etc. I don't know what'd I'd do without it. I don't like 'covered' shoes. I'm a slippers/flip-flops/sandals person but I really like this pair :)



Party Shoes

My party shoes!!! Uhmm... considering I DON'T PARTY at all, I really don't know why I have a need for this pair of shoes. It's just that it's so pretty and I can't stop looking at it and it's so affordable. I'm just wishing and hoping that this pair would last (cosidering Vincci's lousy track record of endurance)


Girly Shoes

If you know me well enough to read my blog, you'd also know that I'm not exactly the perfect picture of femininity. Heck, I'm always dressed in drab colours and the last time I wore a skirt was around a year ago (when I accidentally sent all my decent pants to the laundromat). But I really liked this pair of girly shoes :) I bought them together with Chia Jiun when we were out on one of our shopping sprees and we used to wear it quite often. I haven't been wearing it much since I started working cos I could never wake up in time to tie the pink ribbon properly and I don't have anything in my wardrobe for work that matches the shoes. Every time I see it, I remember the happy times we had when she was still staying here..


Low Heeled Sandals

I love this pair so much that I actually don't dare to wear it too often! It looks so frail that I'm afraid that my big fat foot would push it past its limit. Another reason being is that the heel is very short and I happen to have long pants. If I were to wear this with my favourite pair of pants, I'd be stepping on the hem all the time. I bought this quite some time ago when Vincci was still keeping their prices low. I think I got this at RM59.90. Nowadays, you buy a lousy pair of shoes from Vincci for close to a hundred ringgit and to that I would say "No, thank you very much!"


Impulse Splurge

I actually don't know why I bought this. I guess it's cos I don't have a pair of slip-in heels... and this came is a very pretty colour *grin* If I could go back in time, I probably wouldn't have bought it but then again, I wouldn't know for sure. But since I already bought it at a hefty sum, I might as well make full use of it, right?? :)



Accidental Sandals

I bought this when I was shopping and the pair of shoes that I was wearing gave way! And this was on sale :) It cost only RM49.90 and it's really comfortable. Besides, it came in a colour that I have yet to own...



Sporty Skechers!
For sportswear, my choices tend to steer toward Skechers. But since they are so darned expensive, I have only ever owned 3 pairs. The first pair was stolen a few years back when someone broke into my house. Bah!

Casual Slip-In's! Suitable to be worn at any time, any where (except at work) I've had this for 3 years!!!

This is my trusty gym partner :)

It's actually getting a bit too late to blog... I'm sleepy and I'm tired beyond words. I can barely keep my eyes open and my flow of thoughts have gone to bed a few minutes ago.

Before I sign off, here's a picture of the occupance of the above. I proudly present to you my big fat feet.

Good night...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Soon Yee!! I only see yellow dots.....hahaha

Anonymous said...

Btw, I wore a new pair of Scholls sandals that my aunt bought for me and it only lasted less than 5 hours before it 'open-mouth'.

scwar said...

omg! your post made my day dear! all the yellow dots made me laugh my head off! :D

Anonymous said...

It is a special case..