Monday, May 21, 2012

Miss Saigon in the Netherlands

It's here!

Well, it's been here since September last year but I've been out of touch with my blog then, so I'm making up for lost time here. When I found out that it was showing here, I was over-the-moon, love drunk, delirious!  I'm so out of touch with the local news here that it was sheer luck that I saw the ad on one of the panel ad spaces at the bus stop.

The first thing I did was to look it up online the minute I got home on www.musicals.nl. It is showing at the Beatrix Theater in Utrecht, which is okay for me since it's only about a 2 hour drive, and besides, Jimmy and I could always spend the night there and take the next day to check out the surroundings. The ticket prices were also fairly reasonable at about EUR40 - EUR95 per person, depending on the seats. I was really getting worked up about seeing it, so I went online to do more research.
Screenshot on www.musicals.nl
Then I found out that apparently, this was the debut of the Dutch version of my favourite musical. So everything, and I mean, everything, is in Dutch. That stopped me in my tracks a little bit...

I pondered and pondered and I didn't know if I should go. Yes, I don't mind the Dutch language and I probably know the entire musical by heart, but still... I've wanted to see the stage performance for this musical since forever and it felt that if I went ahead and watched the Dutch version of it, I would be settling. Sort of.

I wouldn't mind seeing any other stage musicals in Dutch because I think it'll be a really good experience but I really cannot bring myself to see this particular one, my first and favourite one, in a language that is foreign to me. I know that if it's a stage performance of any other musical, like Cats, Phantom of the Opera, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat or even Starlight Express, I would have clicked on "Betaal Nu" in a heartbeat. 

Is that silly of me?

My old worn copy :)

It's just that I remember so clearly how I felt when I heard this musical back in the old days. The music playing on the bulky stereo, lying on the bed reading the CD inlet.

I felt the stirrings of something magical listening to Sun and Moon
Tapped my feet and bopped my head to the beat of The Heat Is On In Saigon 
Fell in love to Last Night of the World 
Felt torn but hopeful when I heard Please
Chuckled to the Engineer singing What A Waste 
Felt a chill run down my spine when John told Chris about Kim and her son in The Revelation
And I wanted to poke the eyes out of Ellen in I Still Believe and Her Or Me

(*note: in the local representation of this musical, in place of Her Or Me, Ellen will be singing Maybe or "Toch Nog" in Dutch, a new song written by Claude-Michel Schonberg, Richard Maltby Jr. and Alain Boublil)

The inspiration behind the beautifully heartbreaking Miss Saigon


I dug out my old CD and have been listening to it again in the recent days. And it has made me more certain that I want to wait it out until the original version comes about. Because if you ask me what my first love is, I think this is it.
Although, I have to admit that I am more than a little curious about how the Dutch version of Please is going to sound like.. heh heh *winks*

I've done a post on Miss Saigon the Musical many years ago on this same blog, and here's the link, if anyone is interested:

http://soonyee.blogspot.com/2005/08/miss-saigon.html

No comments: